Falls of Bruar
Meandering about the Perthshire Highlands - it's basically dotted with villages and long, winding gorgeous roads between - we came upon a kind of a Mall shopping area. We were kind of amazed, as it was smack dab in the middle of nowhere. The House of Bruar. Quite a splendid place - not a lick of tourists (except for us, of course). A wonderful restaurant, gigantic shopping area filled with goodies. And a hiking path.
It's a short, but very steep jaunt. About one and a half miles on a circular route from the car park to the top and back. There is a stop in the middle where you get a view of this bridge and part of the lower falls.
In the 18th century, this place was empty of trees. Robert Burns, after visiting the popular beauty spot in 1787, petitioned the Duke of Atholl and asked for the falls to be surrounded with "lofty firs and ashes cool". The first pine plantations were laid out in 1796 and mostly felled to provide wood during the second world war and replanted afterwards.